If time is our most valuable resource, and how we spend our time defines who we are, then why do we waste so much of it? And why, in the age of apps and gadgets, does managing our time seem more difficult?

It’s easy to place the blame on the pull of social media, and it’s true that two-thirds of employees spend time on social media at work. But wasted time at work goes beyond surfing the Internet or chatting about your weekend with coworkers.

We’re wasting time when we spend more of our time managing our work than actually doing it.

McKinsey reports that today’s workforce spends 61 percent of their time simply managing their work. That leaves only 39 percent of the work day to accomplish your daily tasks - assuming you’re not wasting some of that time on Facebook!

The average interaction worker spends an estimated 28 percent of the workweek managing email and nearly 20 percent looking for internal information or tracking down colleagues who can help with specific tasks. - McKinsey

Why are we wasting so much time keeping our work under control when we could be doing more work in less time?

It’s time to stop the madness. 

It’s possible to restructure the workday and take advantage of the tools we have to work smarter, communicate better, cut out the “chaff” of wasted busywork and accomplish more, faster. Our traditional 8-plus hour workday doesn’t actually work if we’re spending 5 of those hours figuring out what we need to get done or, when we get frustrated managing our to-do lists instead of actually checking things off, distracting ourselves with social media and office gossip. In fact, research shows the more time we spend at work, the more time we goof off!

Imagine a workday where you cut out wasted time, accomplishing more in only 4 or 5 hours - and then heading out to go on a run, have coffee with a friend, or invest in your creative hobbies!

Have we piqued your curiosity? Contact us today to learn how you can restructure your workday to get more done while reclaiming your most valuable resource: your time!